Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Targeting Lake Trout with Lead core line

Targeting Lake Trout with Lead core line

By Manny I have fished for lake trout a lot and very successfully over the last 5 years. I even joined a DEC program which we keep an anglers diary of lake trout in a stocked body of water (Kensico Dam in Westchester) in order to determine the reproduction of these lake trout and it has had tremendous success rate of naturally born fish in that fishery. When targeting freshwater lake trout I use a method know as "Leadcore trolling" . Lead core line is simply a braided fishing line th...
    Go to post

• Epic Day in the Bay

Epic Day in the Bay

Got up and out of the house with only 3 hours of sleep (sons bd party). Great sunrise headed out with Jeff . Only 1 guy launched ahead of us ????? Are we on the wrong side ? Did we make a big mistake? am I still sleeping ? Passed threw all the bunker land mines and went out to test some prototype tubes for this guy I know . Met up with Mark on the radio and then in person . Working those red and pink squiggly lines to determine which was going to be the one . After a bit of work we all had som...
    Go to post

• Round Valley Reservoir our closest freshwater gem.

Round Valley Reservoir our closest freshwater gem.

By Elias V
    [QUOTE]

Round Valley Reservoir our closest freshwater gem. Freshwater has always been a tough nut for me to crack. You get so used to the fast paced action of saltwater bass or fluke fishing that you may have a hard time adjusting and reincorporating the concept of “patience” into your fish catching skills. Long Island offers some mediocre freshwater opportunities, mostly for largemouth and carp. Everything else is a shadow of what people told me it was like ba
    Go to post

• Paddle or Pedal?

Paddle or Pedal?

Al Pennino February 2014

A few years ago my new obsession became kayak fishing. Starting in a paddle kayak then switching to pedal power allowed me to gain some experiences that might be valuable to people just starting in this amazing way to fish.

“You gotta get a Hobie!” was something I heard constantly once I got involved in the KFA. There’s a reason the Hobie kayaks with Mirage Drive pedal power- propulsion using your legs instead of paddling- is so...
    Go to post

• A Short Winter Escape to West Central Florida

A Short Winter Escape to West Central Florida

By Rick Flanders I managed a quick getaway to the West Central coast of Florida to team up with my old fishing partner. Day 1 - I flew into Tampa it was a rainy and cool 43 degrees but a welcome change from the 15 degrees I left behind. I had shipped a rod & reel ahead to avoid the TSA rearranging the guides on my rod ( It happened on an earlier trip to the Keys). We grabbed our gear and proceeded to find the bridge over the Anclote River in Tarpon Springs we had seen featured in a vid...
    Go to post

• Salem Aug 14 2013

Salem Aug 14 2013

KFA-NY takes Salem by Storm! By James (onelastcast) On August 14, approximately 25 members of KFA-NY headed north to what has become a yearly pilgrimage to the NEKF Striper Shoot out in Salem Massachusetts. The weather, like last year, cooperated all weekend and that enabled us to fish non stop. As always we had a blast and many laughs. Darren (Dragonfish) and George (GeorgeD) spearheaded a lobster and crab dinner. We gorged on the freshest crustaceans with cold beverages or your f...
    Go to post

• JCKF Kayak Fishing Jamboree - Cape May, NJ - Black Drum, Tog, and Stripers

JCKF Kayak Fishing Jamboree - Cape May, NJ - Black Drum, Tog, and Stripers

A few KFA-NY members hit the waters of Cape May, NJ for a weekend of kayak fishing at the JCKF Kayak Fishing Jamboree, a kayak fishing tournament sponsored by Jersey Cape Kayak Fishing. Tim McNamara (TimMac) was the big winner with a first place finish in the striped bass category. Tom Conway (nosand) was runner up in the Tog category with a nice fat one. Gene Kenney (elkfish) was a winner (in his own mind) in 2 categories not even named in he event , catching an Octopus and the allusive and rar...
    Go to post

• Stonington Marina Invitational - False Albacore - Watch Hill, RI - 9/22 - 9/23/2012

Tom, Frank, and I all had a really great time September 22 - 23, 2012 at the Stonington Invitational. . . . fished hard with Tom Comito and Frank Healy . . . . it is a long story, but, importantly, the two Dons at Stonington Marina treated us with more courtesy than we deserved! Were fantastic hosts! They supplied us with everything from critical fishing information, to fresh scallops! Learned a few truths about the area and albie fishing as a whole that weekend: 1. Stonington Marina is a top notch o...
    Go to post

• Great North Woods - Pittsburg, NH - Salmon, Rainbow, Brown, and Brook Trout

Great North Woods - Pittsburg, NH - Salmon, Rainbow, Brown, and Brook Trout

I made a trip up to the North Country with my wife in New Hampshire and got some fishing in to target salmon and trout. My goal was to catch a 5 species coldwater slam - salmon, lake trout, brown trout, rainbow trout and brook trout. I achieved 4/5, catching 9 salmon, 12 brook trout, 7 rainbow trout, and 3 brown trout . . . . I got skunked on the lake trout, and really regret not trying Second Connecticut Lake for them. That being said, it was a very good trip, and I never spent more than 2 or 3...
    Go to post

• South Shore Smorgasbord!

South Shore Smorgasbord!

KFA-NY member Elias Vaisberg fished the Long Island south shore for a four fish grand slam of weakfish, fluke, scup, and kingfish. This fantastic catch included a 23.5" weakfish and two doormat sized fluke that weighted 7.1 lbs and 6 lbs respectively. In total, Elias had 6 keeper fluke on the day fishing deep water channels. The best bite occurred during incoming tide. Elias has been fishing a pre-summer pattern on the big flatties and carefully noted the depth where the bigger fluke were holding...
    Go to post
There are no articles in this category.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
Please log in to your account to view your subscribed posts.

article_tags

Collapse

Latest Articles

Collapse

• Tommy The Legend
    by elkfish
    Tommy The Legend

Tommy came to a man's world to learn of kayak fishing armed with all the video knowledge he could find.
    Mother nature always tests the kayak fishermen and Tommy was about to pay his dues.

He came with pictures of fish from legends of this magical place.
    His eyes were aglow .
    Kayaks everywhere he could see.
    He was surrounded by legends and history.
    Many men have come here and failed.

The test had begun,...
    08-04-2018, 09:55 AM
  • HOLY COW! By Yakdawg
    by elkfish
    HOLY COW!

I woke up early Saturday determined not to get my usual late start at the OTWM Walter Bundy picnic. I plugged West Meadow Beach into Waze at 6am and off I went. Waze decided to bring me to the back of the park behind the marsh. So much for being early, I found the park on my own. I pulled in the lot a bit after 7am and started to set up after greeting other members who were mulling around and getting setup as well. My plan was to fish for Sea Bass during the slack and...
    10-06-2017, 04:52 PM
  • North Atlantic Ocean
    by elkfish
    Watched the water and winds for a couple of days .Then it was time to see what mother nature had to say . I guess the stars aligned . Launch time was go time as the Ocean came alive , birds went up to scout for us, the whale waved as it devoured a pile of bunker . I've never been in it so alive. Hard to decide which way to go ,which way to throw. Piles of bunker getting destroyed , bass slamming the kayak total chaos . No defined direction of anything ,bunker flying out the water bass flying o...
    11-07-2016, 09:17 PM
  • Cross one off of the bucket list
    by hoopskillz
    Had a day for the ages down in Boyton Beach, Fla. Started my day with a 25lb albie- then 2 Kingfish---one a 30lb + --- numerous drop offs and then this beauty! What a fight. We were on our way in---I thought my chance s at hooking up again were through when in 80 feet of water and a mile offshore- she hit---about 50 yards behind me---she jumped and I knew it was on---my guide paddled over and said to me "strap in cuz this is going to be a long fight" ---sure enough - 40 minutes later and being towed...
    09-06-2016, 05:58 PM
  • Busy week fish wise
    by elkfish
    Full moon fish came in to take a tour . Went out last week to teach my son how to work an area and use his Lowrance better . It is real hard to get a rhythm down and try to teach it to someone else. He is my son sooooo...after trying to work him into it and a damn fish hitting my tube almost every time , he was getting a little "me" on me. I know ,I am ,I'm doing it .I said OK got it good and I tried to move away when another fish hits. Hey as long as your right here how about a picture (trying t...
    08-30-2016, 07:01 PM
  • Epic Day in the Bay
    by elkfish
    Got up and out of the house with only 3 hours of sleep (sons bd party). Great sunrise headed out with Jeff . Only 1 guy launched ahead of us ????? Are we on the wrong side ? Did we make a big mistake? am I still sleeping ? Passed threw all the bunker land mines and went out to test some prototype tubes for this guy I know . Met up with Mark on the radio and then in person . Working those red and pink squiggly lines to determine which was going to be the one . After a bit of work we all had som...
    05-09-2016, 08:01 PM
Working...
X